UBI/ubifs problem

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:51:24 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 14:45 +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>
> >> I think what I'm thinking about is that in the specialized case of ubifs
> >> used for a read-only file system, such as a root file system (without
> >> /etc, /var, and so on), it would be possible for mkfs.ubifs to create a
> >> file system, and use as many LEBs as it needs for the actual data. On a
> >> read-only file system there doesn't even have to be a journal, although I
> >> don't know if that is possible.
> >
> > Well, I'd accept a patch which added a --optimize-for-ro option which
> > would prepare a file-system with the smallest journal size.
>
> Can the journal be eliminated completely or does something in ubifs
> require there to be a journal at all times, albeit small?

I think currently at least 5 LEBs are required:

/* Minimum number of logical eraseblocks in the log */
#define UBIFS_MIN_LOG_LEBS 2
/* Minimum number of bud logical eraseblocks (one for each head) */
#define UBIFS_MIN_BUD_LEBS 3
/* Minimum number of journal logical eraseblocks */
#define UBIFS_MIN_JNL_LEBS (UBIFS_MIN_LOG_LEBS + UBIFS_MIN_BUD_LEBS)

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy