ubiformat & linux 3.0.14-rt

Tim Sander tim01 at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 13 04:06:33 EST 2012

Hi

We are currently using the UBIFS with a preemt rt patched kernel + some local
platform adaptions. After a firmware update of the root filesystem with
ubiformat we see the following message on the next reboot:
sched: RT throttling activated

This message is only seen after firmware update so i suspect that the reason
for this message lies within the ubifs/ubi layer. With the RT enabled kernel
all interrupt run as realtime tasks. This means that if an interrupt takes too
much cpu for some time this is noticed by the scheduler and it throttles the
realtime tasks to 95% of available cpu time.

This happens with or without of ubifs master for 3.0 applied from
git://git.infradead.org/~dedekind/ubifs-v3.0.git

So is there some condition which causes UBI(FS) to take more time in an
interrupt routine if the filesystem has been updated? If yes wouldn't it be
possible to move this work into:
ubifs_bgt0_0

Best regards
Tim