Comparing UBI volumes to generate patch for upgrades

Subodh Nijsure snijsure at grid-net.com
Wed Feb 1 13:31:35 EST 2012

Hi,

I am are working on a embedded industrial product that uses UBIFS, but
we have limitation on amount of data this product can download per year.

So we are trying to figure out how to optimise size of upgrade package.

one option is  use VCDIFF/bsdif or variation there-of and generate a
binary diff package.

option 2 is write a tool that compares UBI volume layout for revision 1
and UBI volume layout for revision 2 and then send that difference,
along the lines of what is outlined in the paper @
http://www.icmu.org/icmu2010/Papers/3-1.pdf

We are just getting started writing a tool to compare UBI volumes, but I
want to send out querry to UBI experts to see if there are some
fundamental issues with UBI that would make comparing UBI volumes and
applying such a patch would be a non-starter.

If we do come up with a "decent" enough tool that can compare UBI
volumes will certainly share it.

-Sam