Unstable bits and JFFS2

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Wed Apr 4 06:54:00 EDT 2012

Matej:

> Artem, you said that this unstable bits only happen
> during power cuts, is this right? Would those appear
> also on simulated power cuts, the ones that integck
> can produce?

  (Note: This isn't Artem replying.)

  Unstable bits can happen anytime, but *REAL* power-cuts
  while writing are certainly a great way to produce them;
  after all, if you've only transferred half the electrons
  to the floating gate when power goes away, well, that
  Flash cell is now a roll-of-the-quantum-dice each time
  you read it.

  Simulated power cuts (that just stop the software
  processing at arbitrary and random points) can't
  produce this effect.

  But any time a read-disturb or write-disturb takes place,
  there's some probability that a Flash cell will be left
  with a "near-threshold" charge on the floating gate, so
  unstable bits are a fact of life that must be faced by
  any software that drives NAND Flash memory chips. This
  is, of course, especially true of MLC chips and even
  more-true for TLC chips (with three bits per cell).

                           Atlant