flash_erase ERROR!

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:05:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:52 AM,  <dhlm83 at sapo.pt> wrote:
> Hello.
> This is my first post.
>
> I am using uClinux (kernel 2.4.34.5-uc0 , dist: 20110603)
> I build a image to board NetBurner MOD5272.

That's a very old (and dare I say unsupported?) kernel. There may be
some things we can do to help, but generally, MTD developers don't
support that old of code.

> The problem is: The flash_eraseall and flash_erase dont work.
>     # flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd5 0 0
>     /bin/flash_eraseall has been replaced by `flash_erase <mtddev> 0 0`;
> please use it
>     Access Error Exception 12: Error on data read
>     SIGSEGV

>     # flash_erase -j -u -N /dev/mtd5 0 0
>     libmtd: error!: MEMGETBADBLOCK ioctl failed
>             error 25 (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
>     flash_erase: error!: mtd_get_dev_info failed

What version of mtd-utils do you have? If it's old, then "flash_erase"
may not give a version # (try `flash_erase --version'). You could also
check other utilities, like:

nanddump --version
nandwrite --version

> Has anyone had this problem?
> Someone may give clues to solve the problem?

I'm guessing it's just that your kernel is really old. From the looks
of it, your flash_eraseall is pretty recent. Just a quick check of
some old kernel 2.4 code seems to tell me that MEMGETBADBLOCK didn't
even exist in your kernel, so obviously the current mtd-utils will be
incompatible.

Brian