Subject: UBIFS and small dynamic files

Daniel Wagener daniel.wagener at kernelconcepts.de
Fri Oct 21 10:31:25 EDT 2011

Ahoi,

we are having trouble with the side effects of the UBIFS write buffer
described in http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_writebuffer
We have certain config files that are quite small and get rewritten very
frequently by their applications.
Matchbox-panels' ~/.matchbox/mbdock.session is a fine example as it gets
emptied on a power cut or hard reset resulting in an empty and therefore
useless panel on the next start.

The document above mentions the '-o sync' option which disables the
write buffer on a partition, but this is not an option for us because we
do not want to reduce the write performance. And there is also the issue
of a synchronously mounted UBIFS that can make things even worse in case
of power cuts.

Has there been any further development to these issues since 2008?