Need to recover from corruption

Steve Iribarne siribarne at grid-net.com
Mon Oct 17 17:39:32 EDT 2011

On 10/16/2011 04:43 AM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 13:59 -0700, Steve Iribarne wrote:
>> I work on a system where we need to be as 100% uptime as possible.  The
>> other day we had an issue here where one of our applications was
>> crashing while a write to one of the partitions was happening.
>>
>> I then turned on UBIFS debugging in u-boot and I have a bunch of info
>> but I have no idea what is going on.
> Well, judging from the log UBIFS went nuts for some reason (negative
> free space). I've never seen this before.
>
> Could you please write some more information about your system, flash,
> kernel version, etc. Please, follow these instructions:
> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport

I'm working on getting this info for you now.
>> Here is the output after (at the u-boot) prompt I do:
>>
>> ubi part nand0,1
>> ubifsmount boot-info
> So this problem happens all the time when you boot? Or how reproducible
> is it?

I have one board in this state now.  Once I get into this state it stays
there until I re-"ubinize" it.

So I'm leaving this one board in this state to see if I can recover it.
> If this problem is reproducible, make a dump of your flash to save it
> for further investigations.

Will do.

The way in which our QA makes it happen (and this is very hard to
reproduce)..

The volume that is corrupt is "boot-info".

In Linux, the user deleted a file in boot-info and does a reboot
straight away.

I think it has to do when the system actually reboots.

We have reproduced this problem also when we had a hang in the kernel
(which stopped the scheduler) and then our watchdog kicked in.  I'm
guess some of the app guys were writing to the flash in the /home/conf
volume.

This only happened twice in all our testing.

But I'll be much more verbose in the bug.

-stv

--

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright