ubi on MLC nand flash

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 03:44:25 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 19:04 -0800, Mike Dunn wrote:
> Oofa.  What have I gotten myself into?  I don't have all those devices on which
> to test the changes, and I'd hate to break a driver.

Well, you do not have to test on all devices. If you do small
incremental reviewable changes, CC the right people, and test on nandsim
and mtdram plus your device, this should be good enough. Those who are
interested will review/test. Those who do not care - will fix their
drivers after the breakage. Of course the goal is to not break anything,
but my point is that myriads of divers which is impossible to test
should not prevent the progress :-)

> Some userspace mtd-utils for nand currently use it, though.

Well, not sure if the usage makes much sense with modern flashes.
Anyway, if you do not need to change this - don't touch it :-)

> I'm able to at least look into making these changes if you want to go ahead.  My
> motivation is to get a robust ubifs on my diskonchip G4.

Sounds good, send nice incremental patches :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy