dangerous NAND_BBT_SCANBYTE1AND6

Ivan Djelic ivan.djelic at parrot.com
Wed May 25 14:31:54 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:04:40PM +0100, Atlant Schmidt wrote:
> Ivan:
>
> > <digression> ...
> > And recent Micron devices do not store markers in flash; they just
> > return 0x00 for any byte read in a bad block (instead of the real
> > data), using an internal bad block table.
> > </digression>
>
>   Does this mean that it is impossible to mark additional
>   bad blocks in these devices as blocks go hard-bad during
>   use? Or do commands exist to extend the internal bad
>   block table? (And do our MTD drivers know how to do that?)

Note that the usual bad block detection still works on those Micron devices.
They just do not store markers in flash.

You can still mark a block gone bad either by writing your own marker into the
block or (better) in a separate BBT. The internal Micron table is hard-wired
and only used to shortcut access to factory bad blocks AFAIK.

Regards,

Ivan