"warning!: only 995 of 1984 eraseblocks have valid erase counter"

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:30:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 11:19 +0200, Gilles wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:14:01 +0300, Artem Bityutskiy
> <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I think it is self-explanatory. Please, ask specific question. WRT to
> >consequences - it should not be critical.
>
> I went ahead, answered yes, and it seems to work OK, but I was curious
> to understand what the message really means.

What exactly is unclear in the messages? :-)

> Before reflashing memory with an image, does ubiformat always warn the
> user that the empty blocks after the image will have their erase
> counter set to the average computed from the used blocks, regardless
> of their actual usage so far?

Yes. If you properly use tools - you should never see the warnings. Most
probably you flash images using UBI-unaware tools, or you erase the
flash using UBI-unaware tools like flash_erase or do it in u-boot.

But I agree that ubiformat could probably be smarter and avoid printing
this warning if half of the flash is UBI-formatted and the other half is
empty.

Current logic is - if not everything is UBI-formatted - warn. But it
could be - if not everything is UBI-formatted and the eraseblocks are
not empty - warn. Feel free to send a patch :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy