MTD concat support for linux and UBI

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Thu Jan 20 09:24:46 EST 2011

Hi all,
I have got a general question to the MTD concat feature in Linux. Is it allowed
to concatenate NOR flashes with different writebuffersizes? Currently the code
allows this.
If so I see a problem for different sizes when dealing with UBI volumes
comprehending such flashes. Some days ago some patches were added to adjust the
min I/O size for UBI to the writebuffersize of the flash. If now two flashes
with different writebuffersizes are concatenated whats the way forward? I see
two solutions:
1) Using the writebuffersize from the flash with the largest writebuffer for min
I/O size in UBI.
2) Adapting the concat feature in Linux to forbid concatenating flashes with
different writebuffersizes.

Best regards
Holger Brunck