Slab memory leak in JFFS2 filesystems

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 11:27:58 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 10:12 -0600, Johns Daniel wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 18:41 -0600, Johns Daniel wrote:
> >> I have discovered a kernel memory leak associated with JFFS2
> >> filesystems. I have verified the leak in kernels 2.6.28 and 2.6.36 on
> >> a Freescale PowerPC board using this script:
> >>
> >> while :; do FN=$(mktemp /jffs2fs/TMP.XXXXXXXX); \
> >>    cat /proc/slabinfo |grep "dentry\|size-64 "; sleep 1; /bin/rm $FN; done
> >
> > Please, check whether they go away after:
> >
> > echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> >
> > See Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt for more information about what this
> > means.
>
> Thanks for that suggestion, Artem! Here is what I tried:

Hi, you can try to play with kmemleak - this is a kernel feature which
slows down the system a lot but is great in catching memory leaks. It
may have false positives sometimes, though. You can read about kmemleak
in the Documentation/ directory. I think if there are leaks in JFFS2 -
kmemleak would spot them.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)