Some questions on bit-flips and JFFS2

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Wed May 5 05:29:09 EDT 2010

Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

.

> Unless you supply your device with an UPS :-)
>
> I did not really follow the discussion, so sorry if the following is
> unrelated: I think it should not be too difficult to teach JFFS2 to
> force GC on eraseblocks with bit-flips.

I can confirm that ;-)
we actually implemented this (for our ancient 2.4.25 kernel with JFFS2 version 2005)
because we were seriously suffering from NAND bit flips on our Numonyx SLC NAND device.
see:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2009-August/027080.html

This would only benefit the OP if kernel image is kept on JFFS2 (too).