Some questions on bit-flips and JFFS2

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed May 5 02:59:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:

> PS: I could not reproduce the bit-flip problem. It just happens in rare cases.
> Furthermore some of my devices are using Samsung NAND instead of the Micron
> NAND and did not show any problems yet. So perhaps my problem are just some
> bad NAND chip? But still I have to find a solution for the problem.

In our experience, which is limited to 32 MiB and 128 MiB SLC flashes,
Micron, Hynix and Numonyx have much worse bit read error rates that
Samsung and Toshiba, even though the data sheets hint at the same level of
data integrity. We made some random tests, reading again and again from
the same flash partition, and the first group above tended to show
uncorrectable ECC errors already after less than a million reads, whereas
the second group showed only single-bit errors even after 20 or even 60
million reads.

Of course, reading that many times from a flash partition, especially a
boot partition, is hardly realistic, but in our experience, it simulates
quite well the situation of a having a seldom-read boot partition in a
flash where there is activity going on in other parts of the flash, i.e.
an embedded system where a single flash chip provides all non-volatile
storage, over a long period of time.

Of course these are random samples only, but they've been very consistent
so far. Lately a new batch of Numonyx 128 MiB flashes arrived which seem
to have better error rates. One can speculate as to why but I'll leave
that discussion off this mailing list.

/Ricard