RFC: direct MTD support for SquashFS

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Mar 16 09:38:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

In embedded systems, SquashFS over MTD would be a considerable win, as
that would permit configuring without CONFIG_BLOCK.  Please find
attached a naive patch against 2.6.33 for this.  It does not handle bad
MTD blocks, that could be handled by gluebi (once you're willing to take
the UBI overhead), or by a custom solution later.

For now, 2.6.34 gained pluggable decompressors, so this patch does not
apply anymore, though the main idea holds.  My questions: is the
community interested in integrating something like this, should this
patch transformed into something acceptable, or am I a total lunatic?
I don't know a thing about filesystem development, but willing to learn
and refactor.  Comments welcome.
--
Thanks,
Feri.