mtd: blktrans: Hotplug fixes

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Wed Jul 14 13:27:30 EDT 2010

commit 048d87199566663e4edc4880df3703c04bcf41d9 "mtd: blktrans: Hotplug
fixes" causes the MTD and the MTD driver module's ref-counts to be
bumped for each block device that is created, whether or not it's
actually in use.

This means that before removing an MTD or driver module one must first
remove all the associated block devices.  But normally the block devices
will be removed only when the MTDs themselves are removed.  This mutual
dependency can't even be resolved by poking at 'unbind' files in sysfs,
because block-translation drivers don't appear in the driver model!

Unless I'm missing something, this does not fix hotplug but completely
breaks it.  Please revert it and find a better way to fix locking in the
block-translation layer.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.