New NAND Help

Sean Preston seanp at pfk.co.za
Thu Jul 8 08:46:40 EDT 2010

Hi

I have a TI DM365 EVM board that currently uses the Micron MT29F16G08FAA 2GB
NAND chip and I would like to test the Micron MT29F8G08ABABA 1GB NAND chip.

Quick summary of the chips specs:
Page size: 2112 bytes (2048 + 64 bytes)
Block size: 64 pages (128K +4K bytes)
Plane size: 2048 blocks
Dies: 4
Chip Enables: 2
ECC: HW 4bit

New chips specs:
Page size: 4320 bytes (4096 + 224 bytes)
Block size: 128 pages (512K +28K bytes)
Plane size: 2 planes x 1024 blocks per plane
Dies: 1
Chip Enables: 1
ECC: HW 4bit

Looking at the drivers/mtd/nand section of the tree I have added the new
chip ID to nand_ids.c  There already appears to be support for 4096 page
sizes and 512K block sizes.  What else would I need to check to ensure that
the kernel is able to probe this chip and load the driver needed for it.
The driver currently being loaded is the davinci_nand driver.  I have
managed to get this chip working with uBoot which uses a modified version of
the MTD driver.

Regards
Sean

--