Dose linux-mtd really support mlc nand flash?

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Mon Jan 25 03:53:29 EST 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, liulunzuo wrote:

>  Mlc nand flash should be write only once per write operation(NOP=1),
>  but i found when i use mtd-utils to write a mtdchar device with oob ,
>  it write a page twice: page and oob zone wrote separately,
>  and mtdchar.c support no way to write a page and oob zone to the mlc
> nand flash at the same time.

As far as I understand, mtd has not been used very much with MLC flash.
There are some thoughts about using UBI on MLC
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_why_ubiformat) but it
seems it hasn't been tested to any extent. At any rate, UBI does not use
the spare area in the flash for itself (like jffs2 does with cleanmarkers
in empty blocks. Don't know how yaffs goes about its stuff).

>  And when a writing or eraseing operation fail, yaffs2 fs will mark
> the block as bad block,
>  but the function "markbad" will only write oob area neither use a
> bad block scan first nor not.

I'm not sure I understand you. markbad marks a block as being bad. It
doesn't have to scan it first; it assumes whoever is calling it knows
enough to make the proper decision.

yaffs (and yaffs2) are not really on-topic on this list, unless you mean
jffs2.

/Ricard