Few problems in mtd system

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:11:21 EST 2010

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 22:59 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Folks, could you review my other questions about bugs in mtd core, and
> tell your opinion?

The MTD subsystem is nor very inhabitant these days, so you are mostly
on your own. I think you should just try fixing the issues you found,
test them, be careful, and send patches.

I believe MTD subsystem have many issues with "hotpluggable" devices
like your card, simply because no one probably worked seriously on this.
Most MTD devices are on-board chips, so few people care about
plugability.

> Yet another problem I found is inside add_mtd_blktrans_dev.
> This function takes mtd_table_mutex but never releases it.
> This sounds fishy, and deadlocks when it calls 'add_disk(gd);'
> This function (I think in case partitions are detected on device)
opens
> block device, and this takes that lock too
> (blktrans_open->get_mtd_device)>

I vaguely remember there was a fix for this, may be in 2.6.33-rcX ?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)