Can ID the NAND chip, but every erase block is bad?

Darwin Rambo drambo at broadcom.com
Sun Jan 3 10:44:19 EST 2010

> Is there any way to instruct MTD to discard any previous bad block
> information, and reconstruct the bad block table from scratch?

You can use the config option that leaves the bad block markers alone in the oob
and have linux quickly build the bad block table in RAM on bootup instead of flash.
I think that it's risky to corrupt the bad block markers in the oob of the bad
block itself since a single accidental erasure can lose _all_ the bad block markers
in one fell swoop and they can't be reconstructed without detailed knowledge of the
factory testing algorithms and environmental test parameters. You could possibly
have redundant blocks for bad block tables in flash to handle this. If you need more
space for strong bch/reed solomon ecc bytes, you can truncate the 8 byte cleanmarker
down to a byte or two using a custom oob layout map, and the multi-byte ecc can skip
over the bad block marker.

Darwin