Emulated write failures cause block marking as bad

Marek Skuczynski mareksk7 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:38:06 EST 2010

Hello Artem,
> Using this option to
>> volume update test
>>    makes no sense.
>>
> This is too strong statement. It does make sens - you verify that the
> error handling functionality works.
>
> You can say that this option is not good enough for you, this will be
> more fair statement.

Okay. You are right. This option is not implemented as I expect.

>>    I am using kernel 2.6.23 with updated UBI  from 2.6.29.
>>    Have you experienced this problem already ? if so, is this has been fixed ?
>>
> Yes, I saw it. This is purely a debugging feature, and it was enough for
> me.
>
> You can easilly develop it a bit more, and make it stop returning erase
> errors when the amount of bad eraseblocks has reached some level.
>
> Just amend ubi_dbg_is_erase_failure()
>
> You might want to do the same for 'ubi_dbg_is_write_failure()', for the
> same reasons, basically.

Yes, of course I can modify the number of errors that will be reported.
However, I would expect that the "emulated write errors" will be
reported out of sync_erase() function,
because most of these errors are reported during writing EC header (in
my case) just after flash block
is erased. As result of this, using the "emulated write errors" I have
almost the same behavior that
I would get with "emulated erase errors" enabled.

Okay, maybe my case is isolated because of tested system configuration,
I will try manage this case myself.

Regards,
  Marek