Static UBI volumes and ubiupdatevol ?

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Dec 17 07:31:32 EST 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

> Ah, yes, you see, you know the things quite well yourself :-)

Well, I try to convince myself that I think I know, but there's always the
very real and likely possibilty that I'm wrong because I've misunderstood
something.

>> I guess I could read from the /dev/ubix_y device to just get the raw UBIFS
>> data which shouldn't change even in the event of scrubbing? Or should I
>> use gluebi to get both a raw mtd partition corresponding to the raw UBIFS
>> data, as well as using UBIFS (on /dev/ubix_y) for the file system?
>
> No, gluebi is not needed, it would just give you an /dev/mtdZ device
> with contents equivalent to /dev/ubiX_Y

So what does gluebi in fact add, does it just supply all the necessary
ioctl's to make /dev/ubiX_Y look like a /dev/mtdZ device, in addition to
the already existing functionality of being able to read and write to the
volume using read and write? (Yes, I could dig through the code, but even
though it might give me the answer on what it looks like right now, it
might not tell what the intention was...).

/Ricard