error!: "/dev/ubi0" is not a character device ?!?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 09:36:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 13:55 +0200, Arno Steffen wrote:
> cat /proc/devices give me back, that  (252 ubi8) is a character device.

Ok.

> But looking above, in /dev it is listed as block device !?!

udev!?!

> For me creating entries are not transparent, this happend with
> ubiattach. No idea how to force ubiattach to write ubi8 in the
> devicelist as character device.

I thought I explained how udev works briefly. I also suggested you
udevmonitor, you can also google. Neither UBI nor ubiattach nor any
other ubi utility should create any /dev device.

Sorry, I cannot provide more help. Try to dig this yourself - there are:
many ways. You can add printks to the kernel. You can even do echo 1
> /proc/sys/vm/block_dump and find out which process creates /dev
entries. Hey, be creative, do not wait that others will solve your
issues! :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)