Mounting Entire Flash

Rahanesh rahanesh at tataelxsi.co.in
Thu Sep 24 06:14:37 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Currently I have 4 mtd partitions in Flash. They are all seen under /dev
directory as mtd0 mtd1 mtd2 and mtd3.

mtd0-> Uboot + Itz Environment
mtd1-> JFFS
mtd2-> Config files
mtd3-> Not used

I am currently trying to implement Image upgradation.

I will need to update JFFS, uboot and Config files from Linux.

I am currently achieving this through  flash_eraseall and dd  command .

To Update U-boot First i will do a

flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 and then
dd if=uboot.bin of=/dev/mtd0 count=size;

and similarly for all individual partitions.

But If i have a combined image as combined.bin  how do i update the
entire flash .

Is it possible to see entire flash as /dev/mtd  . i can very well
extract individual images from combined image and reflash to respective
partitions.

But it would be generic if  we are able write to entire flash not to
individual partitions.

Is it possible to Write to entire flash as such.

Thanks
Rahanesh