write error while using UBI/UBIFS

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Jun 8 01:59:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 20:05 -0700, Manoj wrote:
> I have created a ubi image that I have programmed to NAND flash using
> ubiformat. After I mount the ubifs, I am trying to write a 3MB file to
> the flash and I am seeing some issues.

Please, make sure you have all the latest UBI and UBIFS fixes:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_source
I think I fixed debugging problems recently. I suspect this fix may
help you:
http://git.infradead.org/ubi-2.6.git?a=commit;h=f9fd3ec55e099ccd6894d7e639e2419c53a823e0

> I have enabled UBI debug and CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE.

Please, also take this into account:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_subpage_verify_fail

> Also, as an experiment, I used mtd_debug utility to write a 10MB image
> to the flash and I don't see any issues there. So, it doesn't sound
> like a driver issue?
> HW ECC is enabled and I am presuming that no maintenance data is
> stored in spare area for UBI/UBIFS (from documentation). I don't see
> errors with ECC off.

Enabling debugging checks for verification is good. But please, bear
in mind that they make your system slower.

If you enable just debugging - it is light-weight, but if you also
enable additional checks - they are very slow, so you should later
disable them.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)