UBIFS fails & crashes on SheevaPlug

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Fri Jul 24 17:00:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, erno at gulp.u--3.com wrote:

> I also get messages like this on boot:
>
> [    4.420000] uncorrectable error : <3>uncorrectable error :
> <3>end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0
> [    4.430000] Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 0
> [    4.440000] uncorrectable error : <3>uncorrectable error :
> <3>end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0
> [    4.440000] Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 0
> [    4.480000] uncorrectable error : <3>uncorrectable error :
> <3>end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0
>
> but I'm hopeful it's because something is trying to automatically
> access the builtin flash which is in limbo state?

This is because something (udev I think) is trying to automatically
access every block devices including /dev/mtdblock0. In this case, this
corresponds to the bootloader.  The problem is that the bootrom
responsible for fetching u-boot from the flash and copy it to ram does
understand only one type of ECC, and that ECC format is not (yet)
supported by Linux.  So this is a known issue which you don't have to
worry about and this have no relation with your UBIFS issues.

Nicolas