Linux 2.6.29-rc6

Jesper Krogh jesper at krogh.cc
Thu Feb 26 14:31:35 EST 2009

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Dave Olsen <dolsen at lnxi.com>,
>     Ryan Jackson <rjackson at lnxi.com>, David.Woodhouse at intel.com,
> linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org
>

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:
>>
>> Booting up 2.6.29-rc6 gave me this one in dmesg...
>>
>> [   21.136149] ck804xrom ck804xrom_init_one(): Unable to register resource 0x00000000ff000000-0x00000000ffffffff - kernel bug?
>
> Well, it _is_ a kernel bug, but it's in that stupid driver. It does
> everything wrong, including printing out a scary message.

I've seen that before.. (even reported it before). It just "slipped"
into the cut'n'paste It was the following stuff that I intended to report.

http://krogh.cc/~jesper/iomem.txt

>> System is fully operational, but I didnt get it in 2.6.26.8 (most recent
>> kernel tried on this hardware).
>
> The ioremap() warning is newish, and may be what made you notice the
> previous (just one-line) crappy warning.
>
> Quite frankly, having looked at that horrible driver, I would seriously
> consider disabling it. Stuff like that should not be allowed to exist.

Being a "stupid" user, I pick the easy way to build a fresh kernel:
1) pick the distro .config
2) make oldconfig
3) Let the kernel load what it think it needs.
4) Report if I see and strange stuff (warnings / bugs / oops) or
misbehaviour.

So I dont know if I need that driver for anything vital. Should I care?
Or shouldn't it "just work"?

--
Jesper