Regarding UBI scalability

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Feb 9 03:46:22 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 19:31 +0900, Kyungmin Park wrote:
> One more requested feature.
> How about to scan ubi image and bad block table at simultaneously?
> Now there's two full device scan, bbt and ubi at booting time.
> As internal LEA mapping layout, how about to add bbt layout?
>
> It's also helpful to MLC since MLC doesn't have read oob so it calls
> page read command to build bbt.
> As you know it takes long time.
>
> I'm not sure if internal LEA maping is supported, it's meaningful work or not.
>
> How do you think?

Well, doing scanning twice is not very good indeed. I guess what you
could do is to make MTD avoid scanning and building the bad block
table at all and build it lazily. But then you need 2 bits per
eraseblock, not just one. IOW, sure, it is possible to optimize this.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)