Bad blocks in MLC NAND

Reuben Dowle Reuben.Dowle at navico.com
Tue Feb 3 19:15:21 EST 2009

> I thought we can override the defaults by using nand_bbt_descr and
passing it to  nand->badblock_pattern ?
> I had a similar question based on

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2009-January/024138.html

This is not related to the 8x/16x interface differences, rather it is
the difference between BB handling of SLC and (most) MLC nand devices.

The nand_bbt_descr struction contains information on the location of the
bad block marker within a given page, not which page inside a block
contains the bad block marker.

Also, this structure is not used by the nand_block_bad function in
nand_base.c anyway. It would be possible for a driver to override the
nand_chip -> block_bad function to re-impliment nand_block_bad, however
I don't think this should happen at the nand driver level.

Supporting the majority of MLC nand should be something that the nand
layer should do as standard.

Reuben