Creating an ext3 partition on an mtd device

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 01:59:32 EDT 2009

Hello, Justin,
Thanks for your answer.

Then why do I have in "Essential Linux Device Drivers" this , in
"Block Device Emulation" section of chapter 17, "Memory Technology
Devices" , this:

Block Device Emulation
The MTD subsystem provides a block driver called mtdblock that
emulates a hard disk over flash memory. You can put any filesystem,
say EXT2, over the emulated flash disk. Mtdblock hides complicated
flash access procedures (such as preceding a write with an erase of
the corresponding sector) from the filesystem. Device nodes created by
mtdblock are named /dev/mtdblock/X, where X is the partition number.
To create an EXT2 filesystem on the pda_fs partition of the handheld,
as shown in Figure 17.2, do the following:
bash> mkfs.ext2 /dev/mtdblock/2                 Create an EXT2 filesystem
                                                 on the second partition

bash> mount /dev/mtdblock/2 /mnt                Mount the partition

Regards,
Mark