E is he to find a wife? Can the judges contraven

Bo offsaddle at obpcorp.com
Sun Aug 23 01:37:14 EDT 2009

Turns. To me she owes all her fortune, all her happiness; well, she has
not sent me the very smallest pittance. Sometimes I do not know what
will become of me!" With these words the veteran dropped on to his chair
again and remained motionless. Derville sat in silence, studying his
client. "It is a serious business," he said at length, mechanically.
"Even granting the genuineness of the documents to be procured from
Heilsberg, it is not proved to me that we can at once win our case. It
must go before three tribunals in succession. I must think such a matter
over with a clear head; it is quite exceptional." "Oh," said the
Colonel, coldly, with a haughty jerk of his head, "if I fail, I can
die--but not alone." The feeble old man had vanished. The eyes were
those of a man of energy, lighted up with the spark of desire and
revenge. "We must perhaps compromise," said the lawyer. "Compromise!"
echoed Colonel Chabert. "Am I dead, or am I alive?" "I hope, monsieur,"
the attorney went on, "that you will follow my advice. Your cause is
mine. You will soon perceive the interest I take in your situation,
almost unexampled in judicial records. For the moment I will give you a
letter to my notary, who will pay to your order fifty francs every ten
days. It would be unbecoming for you to come here to receive alms. If
you are Colonel Chabert, you ought to be at no man's mercy. I shall
record these advances as a loan; you have estates to recover; you are
rich." This delicate compassion brought tears to the old man's eyes.
Derville rose hastily, for it was perhaps not correct for a lawyer to
show emotion; he went into the adjoining room, and came back with an
unsealed letter, which he gave to the Colonel. When the poor man held it
in his hand, he felt through the paper two gold pieces.