How to update UBIFS while running an application ?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Sat Apr 4 11:25:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

I could not chat to you because my client died, sorry.

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 14:53 +0200, Manuel Sahm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 3 UBIFS mounted - one is the RFS, another one is mounted in
> /mnt/ubi1/ and the last one is mounted in /mnt/ubi2/
> My main application is in /mnt/ubi1/ and is running.
>
> How could I update the actual ubifs ubi0_0, ubi1_0 and ubi2_0 ?
>
> I tried ist with
> 1.) flash_eraseall
> 2.) nandwrite
> ---> This doesn´t work -> after restart I got errors -> RFS is damaged
> and doesn´t boot anymore
>
> another try:
> 1.) ubiupdatevol
> -----> the problem - this program doesn´t work if the ubifs is mounted
> - but I can´t unmount /mnt/ubi1 or /mnt/ubi2 or the RFS because there
> are applications running.

I'm not sure what exactly you ask, but you cannot update UBIFS
file system while it is mounted. You have to unmount it first.
Does any file-system allows this at all?

Or I misunderstood your questions?

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)