JFFS2 driver under 2.4.31 fails to trigger garbage collection/compression

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Mon Oct 27 07:36:07 EDT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Heinig Gerald wrote:

> First off, I hope this is the correct mailing list for jffs2 under
> kernel 2.4. If it isn't, my apologies and please point me to the correct
> site. Thanks in advance.

From

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html

" [...]

As of March 2005 we dropped Linux 2.4 support from CVS head. This means we
no longer care whether the CVS code can be used on Linux 2.4 or not.

[...]

If you are using the ancient 2.4 kernel, that's probably because you're
interested in stabliity -- it is old and long-tested code. If that's what
you want, then you should use the original JFFS2 code which is part of the
2.4 kernel. It's old and slow and doesn't support NAND flash, but it is
stable, and is maintained.

The MTD community is neither able nor interested to provide support for
new MTD and JFFS2 code with ancient kernels. Move yourself and update to a
recent kernel. If you use a vendor supplied kernel, please get support
from your kernel vendor. Do not ask on the mailinglist for help with such
problems. You are either ignored or you get a pointer to this text. Please
save the bandwidth and our time to sort out such questions."

/Ricard
  --- PLEASE NOTE - I have moved - from F407 to F117 - PLEASE NOTE ---