MTD/flash perfomance statistics

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Tue Nov 18 03:05:09 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 15:42 -0800, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
> "They appear to be going the wrong way.  We're looking for runtime
> diagnostic-y type of things (i.e. Number of writes to the flash, number of
> bad blocks, statistics from the wear leveler to see how the wear leveling
> is going, etc.)  Things that don't take a lot of CPU time to do, like
> counters, that we can use to give us information on what a customer's box
> may or may not be doing in the field.  A ready example that comes to mind
> is ethernet statistics, bytes/packets sent/recieved, error counts, etc. Or
> if you want a storage analog, things like you would see in
> /sys/block/hda/stat but adapted to make sense in Flash storage."

I see. No, we do not really provide this statistics, just because no one
needed this. Please, give me the list of what exactly you would like to
know, and I will try to implement this for you.

> BTW, we're happily up and running UBIFS on a 2GiB flash part with no
> errors.  Mount times are pretty resonable.  I don't have current times
> because I've been about three kernel versions ahead of everyone else so
> the stuff they've all been using until recently didn't have some of the
> speed improvments.  If I get the time (and remember to do it ;)  ) I'll
> try to float some numbers out there.

Cool, of course numbers and hardware information (CPU, flash type, I/O
speed) is appreciated.

> Thanks for all the help over the last several months getting my stuff
> going.  It's been great working with you.

No problem.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)