ST M29W320D incorrectly configured

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Nov 1 03:33:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 23:33 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Forget my last I see now how we can try a 16bit device on an 8 bit
> bus. I had missed the type <<=1 in gen_probe_new_chip.  Ooops.
>
> With that said I think we need to fix cfi_send_gen_cmd as this problem
> applies to all uses of it.
>
> Unless I've missed something the patch below completely fixes the
> problem.

Yeah, that looks better. I had looked at the possibility of continuing
to use 'word' addresses and fixing up cfi_build_cmd_addr(), but for some
reason I hadn't noticed that it was used _only_ for the unlock addresses
(or zero). I thought I was going to need to put a special case in for
when it was being used with unlock addresses, and it all got a bit
complex. So I switched to using byte addresses in the variables instead.

I prefer your approach, although I think the patch isn't quite correct.

You have to make sure we properly handle the case of a 16-bit device in
16-bit mode. We mustn't set the byte address to 0x555 there; it has to
remain 0x554. We need to do the 'addr |= ....' bit _only_ if the device
is in compatibility mode (i.e. interleave * type > map_bankwidth(map)).

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation