Binary Nandwrite/read to Flash

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Mar 14 03:41:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Manuel Sahm wrote:

>>> Is it possible to write/read to the NAND flash "directly" without an
>>> partition ?(/dev/mtdX) ?
>>
>> No, but you can set up a /dev/mtdX device to span the whole device, even if
>> you then have additional /dev/mtdX devices which refer to partitions.
>>
> it´s very dangerous, because if I use the wrong address I´ll kill my system
> :-)
>
> Is ther a possibility to make the /dev/mtdX read only (write protected) ?

Yes, in the driver that registers the flash with mtd you can specify that
the partition should be read only. However, as far as I know [someone
please correct me if I'm wrong] this can then not be changed while the
system is running, so it's not possible to write or erase the partition
without rebooting.

/Ricard