UBI: question about ubi_leb_change

Nancy nancydreaming at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:39:05 EST 2008

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 20:26 +0800, Nancy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     As I know, ubi_leb_change only accept a whole LEB data as one of
> > its parameter.
> Correct.
>
> >     If file system modify a little data which in a old mapped LEB, it
> > needs to read the whole old mapped LEB data in its buffer first, then
> > do the little modification, finally deliver to ubi_leb_change?  Is
> > that right?
> This is what can be done. But file systems should not normally do this,
> because it is inefficient. It is more efficient to do out-of-place
> updates, which means writing data to somewhere else (a free LEB), and
> treat the older data as obsolete. This is what JFFS2 and UBIFS do.
>
> UBIFS does use the in-place update method you have described, but very
> rarely. It uses it only when the FS is nearly full, and only as
> last-resort method of updating the FS index, when out-of-place updates
> are impossible.

Thank you for your information!  It do help a lot !

> >     when remove files, there's only inodes .....some file system meta
> > data changed,
> > but the real file data still exist which means the LEB still mapped.
> > Then when you write new data to this very LEB( but contains only
> > trash), maybe this time, your new data is a whole LEB size.  Still
> > goes the process:  read the mapped LEB old data to buffer,  replace
> > the old data with the new one in buffer, deliver to ubi_leb_change?
> > Really like that?
>
> If you have an LEB, and the contents of LEB is not needed, you should
> just unmap it and write your new data. No need to read it.

   Yes, but in FTL layer, it don't know whether the old mapped LEB is
useful or not until
the new mapped LEB which data stored in a write_cache have to be write
to PEB. The
write_cache maybe full filled with new data or just a little new data,
others have to be read from the old mapped PEB

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2008-January/020381.html
 suggest to use
ubi_leb_change.   Which force the write_cache to read a whole LEB(old
mapped) back first.
That waste so much time, in fact, can't bare, too slow!

    FTL is using in-place update,although write to different PEB,  the
unchange data have to be read back no matter those data is useful or
not ( cause in FTL layer it doesn't know it is useful or not)

    Or FTL can have a same idea like UBIFS, implement log to make
out-place change become reality .....  Is that possible?

    Thanks in advance!

--
Best wishes,
Nancy