querying status ?

DMcLeod dmcleod at bittware.com
Mon Mar 3 11:22:23 EST 2008

Hi,
    Is there a way to query  the status of MTD devices? We are using mtd
over a NOR flash device with jffs2 filesystem. At boot time, there are
occasionally more than one processes accessing the filesystem and one of
our utilities reads strange values (eg 0xff4fff4f) during bootup. It
reads this value by dereferencing a pointer to a memory mapped address..
eg;

        U32 base = 0x7fc0000;
        memcpy(buff, (void *)base, sizeof(buff));

9 times out of 10, valid data is read using this method. But the other
time it seems there's some operation keeping us from accessing flash...
ideally, we'd like to be able to query (and maybe lock) flash during
this read. Our first thought was to try to fopen /dev/mtdblockX for
reading, but this does not work.

Thanks in advance,

--

Thank you,