Flash_eraseall -j and cowardly refusing to mount

Jeff Hane jhane at mobilygen.com
Mon Jan 7 13:39:19 EST 2008

 But doesn't this only fix the case where you have contiguous 8 bytes to
write the cleanmarker?  flash_eraseall -j uses MTD_PLACE to write the
cleanmarker BUT jffs2 uses MTD_AUTO to read the cleanmarker.
 For example, if your oob area has byte 0 as the bad block indicator and
bytes 8-10 have ecc, there are only 7 consecutive free bytes.
flash_eraseall -j will only write 7 bytes so jffs2 will fail when
mounting the filesystem because it will read 8 bytes.  The 8th byte,
which will be byte 12, will still be FF.
  It seems there should be an ioctl that would allow one to read/write
the oob area using MTD_AUTO???

jeff