UBI Used In Commercial Products ??

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Wed Oct 31 20:47:21 EDT 2007

Johnson, Charles F wrote:
> One thought here is that I would think that mounting is a fairly rare
> occurance.  You're much more likely to coming back from suspend.

No, that only applies to portable devices like your iPAQ :-)

Sergei Sharonov wrote:
>> 4. Does not have internal battery or super-capacitor [...]

But even in some devices with batteries, mount time is a problem.  I
turn my phone off every night.  I don't want to receive any calls, and
I do want to conserve the battery charge.

It doesn't suspend, it powers off(*), and needs to remount everything
after booting in the morning.  The 20 seconds to boot the phone is
annoying, but acceptable.  Longer would be very annoying.

(*) I suspect suspend-to-RAM would be a problem with phones, because
(like my laptop), a suspended device consumes its battery charge much
more quickly than a device completely powered off.  Unless you suspend
to flash, that is :-)  Sometimes a phone is turned off to conserve
battery charge, so it really needs to do that.

-- Jamie