MTD Size Limit

Jörn Engel joern at logfs.org
Mon Nov 5 08:35:06 EST 2007

On Wed, 31 October 2007 12:03:48 -0700, Johnson, Charles F wrote:

> I hear about a size limit for the MTD layer due to a 32 bit size
> variable. So is the limitation 4GBytes ??

Possibly even less.  The usual bugs to watch out for is signed/unsigned
usage and 4GiB (or 2GiB if signed) wrapping to 0 or -2GiB.  I wouldn't
trust things beyond 1.9GiB or so without thorough code review and
testing.

> If you partition a device using UBI, is this limiation then per
> partition or is it still over the entire device??

Both.

> Is there any effort to increase the limit.  Particularlly give the large
> NAND flashes that are coming.

I have seen patches, but not in a merge-worthy state.  And I just heard
some people decided to ignore mtd and wrote drivers directly for YAFFS.

If you want to get this done by a certain date you either have to do it
yourself or pay someone.  As always.

Jörn

--
He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book.
-- B. Franklin