trouble with mounting ext2/jffs2

Semih Hazar semih.hazar at indefia.com
Wed May 23 04:23:45 EDT 2007

Jonathan Kotta wrote:
> # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt
> Cowardly refusing to erase blocks on filesystem with no valid JFFS2 nodes
> empty_blocks 0, bad_blocks 10, c->nr_blocks 2048
> mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock0 on /mnt failed

Can you try to mount /dev/mtdblock0 after doing flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
(without -j)
As far as I see jffs2 doesn't like an empty flash with cleanmarkers. But
it works fine with an all-empty flash. I think cleanmarkers are written
as data is written.

Another (and maybe better ?) way to go is
* create a jffs2 image with mkfs.jffs2
* erase the flash with -j so that cleanmarkers are written
* and then use nandwrite to write your image to mtd.

Regards,
--
Semih Hazar