flash partitioning options

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed May 16 10:29:17 EDT 2007

I'm working on a device which has two flash devices. It'll boot from NOR
flash, which contains RedBoot and the kernel. Then the root file system
and other volumes are in NAND flash.

The boot flash is partitioned with the RedBoot FIS. However I'm
wondering what the best way to partition the other flash is?
As I see it the options are;

- RedBoot, but no tools to manipulate the layout from Linux?
- AFS, but I can't find the tools for that either.
- cmdlinepart, which means hard-coding the layout in the kernel image
  or the boot loader. Probably OK but can't deal with a change in part
  later very easily.
- UBI.

Is UBI overkill? My kernel is a bit old (~2.6.15) so I'm not even sure
if it's feasible. I'm not particularly concerned about wear-leveling
across the whole device (as per my last email it's mostly read-only) so
I don't think I need it otherwise. (Opinions welcome.)

thanks,
Hamish