Mounting JFFS2 partitions as root file systems

John Smith john at arrows.demon.co.uk
Sun May 6 17:20:17 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am slowly finding out how to use kernel command line parameters
to specify an MTD partition holding a root file system.

When the JFFS2 FAQ answers the question

  "Do I need to use mtdblock to mount my JFFS2 filesystem?"

it includes a remark

 "when JFFS2 is used as a root filesystem ... this requires the mtdblock
  device to be specified for root= on the kernel commandline."

But I now think this restriction went away in Kernel 2.6.18, so that it is
now possibly to put

   root=mtd:jffs2_image  rootfstype=jffs2

on the kernel command line to get the MTD partition "jffs2_image"
mounted as a root file system.

Similarly, the function jffs2_get_sb() includes the remark

  /* FIXME: How to do the root fs this way? */

which appears to have been fixed by the mtd logic in
the function prepare_namespace() in do_mounts.c.

Have I understood correctly?

John