UBI: Can I boot with an UBI volume holding a root file system?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Sat May 5 10:08:59 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 23:42 +0100, John Smith wrote:
> I am hoping to build a root file system and store it as a squashfs
> image in a static UBI volume. What command line should I should pass
> to the kernel at boot time?
>
> There are likely to be other UBI volumes in the UBI partition which
> will each get mapped to a /dev/mtdblock device. Is it going to be
> difficult to identify the major/minor numbers of the device which will
> mapped to my squashfs image?
>
> I think that I need to add some initramfs logic, but I am very
> uncertain of the details. I will be grateful for any ideas,

I have never tried this and I guess nobody did. But you may try and send
us a text to add to faq on MTD site :-)

One thing for you to keep in mind: use proper volume alignment. I am not
sure what is squashfs block size probably 512 bytes, then use alignment
512. In this case you will end up with 512-byte aligned logical
eraseblocks. this will make your life easier.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)