SPI Flash

Duke ezbonites at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:45:50 EST 2007

On 12/18/07, Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre at atmel.com> wrote:
> Duke :
> > Hi all,
> > Has anyone use ST's SPI flash and Atmels SPI DataFlash suscessfully?
>
> Atmel DataFlash are working on Linux with this configuration in your
> .config :
> CONFIG_MTD_DATAFLASH=y
>
> > How does the interface look from userspace? Is it still an mtdblockX
> > device or is it a spi device node?
>
> It is seen as a mtd device :
> # cat /proc/mtd
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> [..]
> mtd2: 00840000 00000420 "spi0.0-AT45DB642x"
>
> So you can mount is using mtdblockx interface.

Thanks,
Various DataFlash cards have different size alterable, is this
supported my the mtd driver? Let say I want to have a section that I
never want altered, do I need to do partition the dataflash
accordingly so this section wouldn't be erased, or I don't need to do
that? Taken into consideration the filesystem limit on block sizes.

Do you know if this is the same for all spi flash chips that may not
be from atmel?