Direct Access to flash chips

Jörn Engel joern at logfs.org
Wed Aug 29 06:31:08 EDT 2007

On Wed, 29 August 2007 11:30:46 +0300, John Klonatos wrote:

>          I am new to flash technology. From what i understand so far
> in order to use the mtd layer, one must have direct access to the
> flash chip.
>          If this is correct in the first place, i would like to know
> how one can achieve this kind of direct connection. I have searched
> through the web and so far nothing. I know there are card flash
> readers (SmartMedia and Xd-Picture) but what the host system see is
> the usb interface.
>        So, is there a (free) platform available to make possible this
> type of direct connection. Or it is enough to use the usb
> interface/protocol.

Olympus MAUSB-10 and Fijufilm DPC-R1 allow raw access.  You can use this
driver:
http://logfs.org/~joern/patches/alauda_mtd.patch.26

David, any reason not to merge it?

Jörn

--
In America you can have either a flimsy box banged together out of two
by fours and drywall, or a McMansion -- a flimsy box banged together