Wanted - simple NOR Flash filing system - JFFS2 ?

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 10:09:08 EDT 2007

Charles Manning <manningc2 <at> actrix.gen.nz> writes:

> It is far too grand to call this a file system.
> This is a bit more like a linear file store, or even more proimitive than
> that.
>
> I agree with the basic principle: if you don't need a full fs, then why use
> one? You don't need a chainsaw to cut butter!
...snip...

I note from an earlier newsgroup thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.mtd/3255/focus=3271

that it would be possible to wind down the min blocks requirement
for a JFFS2 filesystem, after all with the usage pattern I described,
who cares about garbage collection or spare blocks ?

It would be very nice if you could somehow set this minimalist option
when doing a mk.jffs2, such that the driver would then be happy (on
that particular filesystem partition) with even a single eraseblock,
but obviously if the block ever filled up you could hardly expect
the driver to handle it for you.

Comments from dwmw2 ?!

Regards,
MikeW