Again 2.6.18-RC6 XScale P30 issues

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 10:10:58 EDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Nils Faerber <nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> Justin Clacherty schrieb:
> > Nils Faerber wrote:
> >> So something is still wrong. At runtime the filesystem seems to be OK
> >> but after a reboot it seems to be defect. Only way to recover is to
> >> reflash the rootfs.
> > Is the bootup process writing to flash before you unlock it?  syslogd
> > might be a culprit...
>
> Well, yes, there are some scripts that touch the fs, but that is IMHO
> not the issue here. If it would be I would get the other "unable to
> write to locked sector" error.
> Instead the fs gets permanently corrupted, i.e. data is written and the
> written data is wrong.

How are you resetting the board?

> Last night I found that the JFFS2 write cache is configured. I will
> disable that now and see if that helps - I have the impression that the
> fs may contain half-baked stuff after a write. On the other hand, the
> JFFS2 write cache is not marked as an experimental feature so I thought
> I should be safe...

It typically is if you do things correctly.  You should remount the
filesystem as read-only or at the very least sync it before resetting.
 The writecache gets flushed every 5 seconds or so.  Depending on the
amount of data in there, if you reset without it being flushed you'll
loose data or even whole files.

josh