Problem with developing Samsung K9F1G08U0A MTD driver

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Thu Oct 5 18:55:06 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 15:08 -0700, z l wrote:
> > You omitted: ", based on Cirrus Logic release
> > 1.0.7."
> >
> > Do not try to trick me!
> >
> Maybe it is an important piece of information, but it
> was not intentionally left out.

It _IS_ an important piece of information. Go, read and _UNDERSTAND_
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions

It was in your previous offlist mail to my _BUSINESS_ mail address, when
you tried to get _FREE_ help from me. I pointed you to that URL in my
answer:

> Please use a community supported up to date kernel. See also
>
> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions
>
>         tglx

It was not longer there in your mail to the mailing list. And I'm not
believing for a second that it was not intentional.

> > Use an up to date kernel from the community and you
> > get community
> > support.
> >
> We would love to have the latest kernel, but this is
> the one we can find that has all the device drivers
> working for our board.  If there is a later version
> available that has all the drivers we would jump in
> without any hesitation.

Ah, if the community is ready to please your expectations you are
willing to use a community kernel.

Go and blame Cirrus for their unwillingness to work with the community.

Guess who put support for their CPU's into mainline: community people
without _ANY_ help from Cirrus.

This code was written by people with a trust in the "Do ut des" basics
of Open Source and you sit there and wait until we have done all the
work, so you can have your benefit ?

Should I really take your "unintentional" excuse serious ? No way, you
just disguised yourself.

If the commmunity supported kernel lacks support of device drivers you
are interested in, then you can add it. You are welcome and you will get
all the help we can provide.

If you are more pleased by the Cirrus kernel hackery, use it and seek
help from them.

Open Source is not a self service store without a cashpoint.

> Now onto our NAND FLASH problems.

I don't care at all.

> Any idea what it might be?

You use code, which I can not look into and I'm not interested to give
witchcraft debugging aid.

	tglx